Sunday, February 26, 2017

Getting a steam game to work on ubuntu 16.10

I bought the Humble Bundle Freedom Bundle (supporting the EFF). Before now, I had never used Steam. The install was pretty painless and some games worked just fine but some didn't (e.g. Ninja Pizza Girl). Not only did they not work but they just failed silently which is pretty crappy.
After some poking around, I found this guide, most of which did nothing but the last few commands

triggered installing some missing items

and now the game runs. I don't know which of these actually fixed it.
This is a pretty awful user experience. There was no indication what was failing or what was needed. Steam's site has no documentation that I can find on getting things working well on Linux and most of the guides I found were telling me to install packages that I already had.

No comments: